The George Washington University Department of Athletics and Recreation, an NCAA Division I member of the Atlantic 10 Conference, actively engages our students, our campus community, our alumni and our fans through the spirit of healthy living and competition. Located in the heart of our nation’s capital, this world-class university aspires to have a world-class athletics and recreation program. We are committed to building and sustaining a program that mirrors the overall excellence of the university, by providing students an unparalleled opportunity for achievement and engaging the larger community as we grow and cultivate the next generation of leaders.
Reporting to the Senior Associate Athletics Director for Health and Wellness, the Head Coach for Men’s and Women’s Squash will administer, manage, and lead all aspects of the women’s and men’s squash sports program. The incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Oversees women’s and men’s squash program, creating, promoting and maintaining a culture of determination, commitment and respect; including the development and implementation of team standards.
- Identifies and recruits academically qualified and athletically talented student-athletes.
- Recruits, develops and works to retain highly qualified support staff.
- Coaches and trains student-athletes, to include evaluating their performance in both practice and competition and provides leadership and instruction in these areas. Schedules and conducts practice sessions. Works with administration to schedule regular season contests. Travels with the team and monitors the conduct of student-athletes.
- Promotes the academic, physical, mental and social development of student-athletes, to include consulting with the student-athlete, Academic Support Staff, Mental Health professionals and other
- University administrators and support staff. Monitors the conditioning and training of student-athletes, in conjunction with the Strength and Conditioning Coach and the Athletic Training Staff.
- Manages clinics and camps, as approved.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships and communications with students, colleagues, university staff, and the general public. Participates in public relations activities, as approved, to include granting interviews with newspaper, radio and television media, attending press conferences and making public appearances.
- Works with Development and Alumni staff to plan and coordinates approved fund raising activities. Represents the Department at professional, civic, charitable, and alumni events.
- Oversees administrative and financial operations pertaining to team travel, budget, student-athlete eligibility, and academic progress.
- Is responsible for knowledge of and full commitment to compliance with all NCAA, Atlantic 10 Conference, University, and Department of Athletics and Recreation rules and regulations.
The position is based at GW’s Foggy Bottom Campus in Washington, DC but may require travel across the United States as well as abroad. The incumbent may perform other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate area of specialization plus 5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Master’s degree or higher in a relevant area of study plus 3 years of relevant professional experience. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Women’s and Men’s Squash coaching experience
- Experience with fiscal management and daily operations of an intercollegiate athletics department
- Strong organizational, management and communications skills with attention to detail
To apply: https://www.gwu.jobs/postings/67930