Round Robin competitions between multiple teams at Hobart & William Smith Colleges, Vassar College, and in Chicago headlined the first weekend of competition with varsity teams in action.
- The Chatham University men won the headlining match of the weekend against Hobart. The No. 24 vs No. 25 matchup went Chatham’s way by an 8-1 score.
- The William Smith women went 2-0 in their matches against Denison and Chatham.
- In Poughkeepsie, NY, host teams from Vassar had a strong weekend. The women went a sterling 4-0 with wins over club teams Boston University, Colgate, Fordham, and Northeastern, while the men were 3-2 on the weekend.
- The men’s teams from Boston University and Georgetown emerged as top club teams so far this season, with each team winning four matches over the weekend. Head to head, BU was victorious over Georgetown by a close 5-4 score.
- While the Vassar women avenged their loss to Northeastern from the 2020 E Division Championship match, Northeastern should still be a top women’s club team this year, showing early success with three wins over the weekend.
- The U.S. Naval Academy men ventured to the Midwest and built some early season momentum with five wins against club teams from University of Chicago, Indiana, Washington University in St. Louis, Ohio State, and Northwestern.
- University of Chicago was the best of the rest in that round robin, taking three wins after their loss to Navy.
- Not to be forgotten, the University of Richmond men are off to a torrid start down south, racking up six wins and zero losses so far this season.
Before several more teams jump into full competition this weekend, be sure to follow two local matchups on Wednesday evening. Navy hosts rising power Virginia while Rochester, under new head coach Mario Yanez, welcomes Hobart.