WEEK 4 (March 23-26)
Side-to-Side Volleys – Count the number of consecutive Side-to-Side Volleys hit as follows in 60 seconds or less: strike the ball -> side wall -> strike to opposite side wall -> repeat (without any bounces!). Each strike to side wall counts as 1. Demonstration Video (side-to-side only)
TEAM FITNESS RELAY! – Create a team of 3 teammates. Each team member takes on 1 of 3 fitness tasks: Front-to-Back Sprints, Side-to-Side Shuffles, & Star Drill. 30 seconds for each task. Each racquet touch counts as 1. Highest cumulative score of racquet touches for the 3 tasks is the winning team. Does not have to be completed back-to-back-to-back. Demonstration videos shown below in challenge information for Weeks 1, 2, & 3.
(This week’s demonstration video is courtesy of @serioussquash on Instagram. Thank you!)
Congratulations to the WEEK 3 winners!
Figure-8 Volleys: Katherine Glaser, Princeton University & Callan Hall, Columbia University
Star Drill: Sophie Barber, Bowdoin College/Olivia Robinson, Princeton University (tie) & Henry Somerby, Bowdoin College
During the four full weeks of March (1st through the 26th), the College Squash Association (CSA) will host a weekly skills challenge for all eligible CSA players. Student-athletes will compete as individuals in various solo skill tasks and fitness tests. Leaderboards will track scores and standings throughout each week, and winners will be announced at the end of the weeks.
CSA players should read all of the rules carefully before they begin the challenges.
- All eligible CSA players are invited to participate in the challenge.
- Each Monday morning during the first 4 weeks of March, CSA will announce at least 1 racquet skill task and 1 fitness test that will make up the challenge for that week.
- You will have 60 seconds to score as many points as possible for the racquet skill task(s)
- You will have 30-45 seconds to score as many points as possible for the fitness test
- Each task offers an individual competition for that week. You can participate in one task without competing in another.
- After you complete a task (or the set of tasks), enter your score using the online form that will be posted at the beginning of each week. All scores must be entered by 7:00 p.m. EST on the Friday of that week.
- CSA will post a leaderboard of the entered scores on each day during the week. The leaderboard will show separate men’s and women’s scores.
- Players can submit a score as many times as they want. Only the player’s highest score will be posted on the leaderboard.
- In order to win a challenge, you must provide video evidence of you accomplishing the task. Posting videos on social media and tagging teammates, competitors, and the CSA, along with #CSASkillsChallenge is acceptable and encouraged.
- The player with the highest score for each task at the end of each week will be declared the winner. The winner of each challenge will receive a prize (participants who win multiple challenges will only receive one (1) prize item).
- Ties will be broken by the number of scores submitted (i.e. formal attempts) by each of the leaders for all of the tasks during a week. The participant with the most formal attempts during a week will be declared the winner.
COVID-19 REMINDER: Please make sure that you are abiding by all federal, state, local, and institutional policies regarding the prevention of COVID-19 transmission. Participating in the CSA Weekly Skills Challenges is not an excuse to violate protocols and expected procedures.
WEEK 3 (March 15-19)
Figue-8 Volleys – Count the number of consecutive Figure-8 Volleys hit as follows in 60 seconds or less: strike the ball -> front wall -> side wall -> strike to opposite side front wall -> side wall -> repeat (without any bounces). Each strike to front wall/side wall counts as 1. Demonstration Video
Star Drill – Count the number of racquet touches in 45 seconds using this sequence: Racquet in hand, start at the T -> go first to left back corner, touch corner, then back to the T. Repeat to the next location, going clockwise, as many as possible in the time limit. The six locations are: left back corner, left service line, left front corner, right front corner, right service line and right back corner. Racket must touch each corner or side wall location. Each racquet touch counts as 1. Demonstration Video
WEEK 2 (March 8-12)
Congratulations to the WEEK 2 winners!
Forehand Drives: Saachi Singh, Princeton University & Omar Ali, Dickinson College
Backhand Drives: Saachi Singh, Princeton University & Omar Ali, Dickinson College
Side-to-Side Shuffles: Annie Roach, Wesleyan University & Sean Choi, Wesleyan University
Forehand Drives – Count the number of consecutive forehand drives hit as follows in 60 seconds or less: strike the ball -> front wall -> bounce -> back wall -> strike again (without a second bounce). Demonstration Video
Backhand Drives – Count the number of consecutive backhand drives hit as follows in 60 seconds or less strike the ball -> front wall -> bounce -> back wall -> strike again (without a second bounce). Demonstration Video
Side-to-Side Shuffles – Count the number of racquet touches in 30 seconds using this sequence: Racquet in hand, start at the T -> shuffle to side wall -> racquet touches side wall -> shuffle to other side wall -> racquet touches -> repeat. No turning except on last step to touch side wall. Each racquet touch counts as 1 point. Demonstration Video
WEEK 1 (March 1-5)
Congratulations to the WEEK 1 winners!
Forehand Volleys: Lucy Stephenson, Princeton University & John Collins, Haverford College
Backhand Volleys: Lucy Stephenson, Princeton University & Callan Hall, Columbia University
Front-to-Back Sprints: Olivia Robinson, Princeton University & Sanjay Jeeva, Franklin & Marshall College/Omar Ali, Dickinson College (tie)
Forehand Volleys – Count the number of consecutive forehand volleys hit from behind the mid-court line in 60 seconds or less. Demonstration Video
Backhand Volleys – Count the number of consecutive backhand volleys hit from behind the mid-court line in 60 seconds or less. Demonstration Video
Front-to-Back Sprints – Count the number of racquet touches in 45 seconds using this sequence: Racquet in hand, start at the back wall -> forward sprint, touch front wall with racquet -> backward sprint, touch back wall with racquet -> forward sprint again and repeat. Each racquet touch counts as 1 point. Demonstration Video
(All demonstration videos are courtesy of NY Squash and the NY Squash Solo Challenge. Thank you for their assistance and support!)