This is the third week of the new computerized ranking. This is the final regular season ranking prior to the first Team Championship weekend. Club teams are now included in the team rankings. These rankings will seed the Team Championships.
Please note that, if warranted, in preparation for the second team championship weekend (Divisions A and B), there could be a final ranking of teams in the top 16 ranking positions. There is one regular season match left to be played between two top 16 schools.
Earlier this month, an article explaining the computerized ranking methodology was published. Below are a few important items about the computerized rankings:
- It is important to note that the computerized rankings have no dependence on when the matches were played. A match played on November 1st has the same importance as a match played on the final day of the regular season or in a league championship.
- For each ranking calculation, all matches are taken into account up to the ranking date.
- A 5-4 team win or loss has the same significance as a 9-0 win or loss.
- Teams that have a bye week may still move up or down in the rankings depending on the results of other teams that played that week.
For the second week in a row, Stanford and Yale are tied in ELO points. Per the CSA’s ranking rules, the results from their head-to-head meeting were used to break the tie. Yale defeated Stanford earlier in the season, so the Bulldogs remain in the 5th ranking position.
With Dartmouth’s victory over Brown, the 9th through 11th ranking positions were changed. Dartmouth moves to the 9th position. Brown and Drexel were tied for ELO points. Since Brown and Drexel did not play each other this season, the head-to-head results could not be used to break the tie. The secondary tie breaker is which team has the a victory against the highest opponent involved in the tie. Drexel defeated Dartmouth earlier in the season and therefore remains the 10th-ranked team, followed by Brown at 11th.
Virginia debuts as the highest ranked club team. Thanks to victories over a number of varsity squads this season, the Cavaliers enter the rankings at 16th.
Certain club teams were ranked high in the ELO due to a limited schedule and/or because they received an exception to enter Team Championships due to cancelled matches. For these reasons, and per the CSA Ranking Rules, a few non-varsity teams’ ranking positions were adjusted. These squads are denoted with an asterisk in the rankings listed below.
Below are the [wtr] as of February 14, 2016. Listed after each school’s name is their previous ranking and their ELO point total.
- Harvard University (1; 1275.775)
- Pennsylvania, University of (2; 1245.963)
- Princeton University (3; 1220.274)
- Trinity College (4; 1192.529)
- Yale University (5; 1192.398)
- Stanford University (6; 1192.398)
- Columbia University (7; 1165.603)
- Cornell University (8; 1146.821)
- Dartmouth College (11; 1122.583)
- Drexel University (10; 1119.389)
- Brown University (9; 1119.289)
- Williams College (12; 1110.066)
- George Washington University (13; 1110.029)
- Franklin and Marshall College (14; 1088.137)
- Middlebury College (15; 1071.413)
- Virginia, University of (NR; 1060.532)
- Amherst College (16; 1050.378)
- Bowdoin College (17; 1029.432)
- Bates College (18; 1029.324)
- Hamilton College (19; 1004.849)
- Colby College (20; 1000.990)
- St. Lawrence University (21; 994.682)
- Wellesley College (22; 992.950)
- Tufts University (23; 970.619)
- Dickinson College (24; 966.589)
- Wesleyan University (25; 963.144)
- William Smith College (26; 962.043)
- Connecticut College (27; 934.528)
- Mount Holyoke College (28; 934.377)
- Boston College (NR; 915.641)
- Vassar College (29; 905.862)
- Haverford College (30; 875.709)
- Colgate University* (NR; 881.711)
- Johns Hopkins University* (NR; 868.883)
- Bucknell University* (NR; 896.003)
- Georgetown University* (NR; 876.069)
- Boston University (NR; 855.984)
- Rochester, University of (NR; 823.496)
- Northeastern University (NR; 818.656)
- Washington University in St. Louis* (NR; 1030.74)
- Smith College (NR; 801.635)
- Fordham University (NR; 799.162)
- Minnesota, University of (NR; 796.286)
- New York University (NR; 760.038)
* Club team adjustment