About The Heights Casino
The Heights Casino is a private club located in the heart of Brooklyn Heights just a block from the world-renowned Promenade and its unparalleled views of lower Manhattan and the New York harbor. It is also only a short subway ride from all that Manhattan offers. The Heights Casino was founded in 1904 and includes about five hundred members. Facilities include a dining room, a bar and lounge and a fitness center in addition to six singles squash courts, one doubles squash court and two indoor tennis courts. The Heights Casino junior squash program, with over 120 participants, is one of the largest and most successful in the USA and the Club also has a strong adult squash contingent. The Casino hosts two prestigious and long-standing professional squash events: the women’s Carol Weymuller tournament, which attracts many of the top women’s squash players in the world and the David Johnson professional doubles tournament. Starting 2022, we will host the Heights Casino Open, a women’s professional squash doubles tournament
The Director of Squash is responsible for all squash activities at the club. The Director reports to the Club’s General Manager and supervises five assistant squash professionals. The Director of Squash works in concert with the club’s Squash Committee and coordinates activities and events with the directors of fitness, tennis, and dining.
The overarching goal for the Director of Squash is to build a squash program (adult and junior) that is recognized by members and outsiders as one of the most vibrant, fun, and successful squash programs in the country.
- Achieve high member satisfaction
- Hit budgeted revenue and expenses
- Recruit and manage a great team of assistant professionals
- Communicate well with member
- Run an outstanding Junior Squash Program, for both recreational and highly competitive junior players
- Orchestrate a very active Adult Squash Program
- Deliver outstanding Squash Instruction
- Essential Qualifications
The successful candidate will have a passion for the game of squash. S/he will be an enthusiastic visionary, athletic and fitness minded professional with strong leadership and communication skills. A demonstrated track record of developing industry-leading squash programing across all age groups and skills is highly desirable.
- Core competencies
- Honesty/Integrity: does not cut corners ethically. Earns trust and maintains confidence. Speaks plainly and truthfully.
- Enthusiasm, high energy, flexible, hands-on: exhibits passion and excitement over work. Has a can-do attitude.
- Intelligence: learns quickly. Demonstrated ability to quickly and proficiently understand and absorb new information.
- Ability to hire A players: deep contacts in the squash world, well regarded, able to source and attract great pros
- Creativity/innovation: generates new and innovative approaches to junior and adult squash programs
- Teamwork: reaches out to peers and cooperates with supervisors to establish an overall collaborative working relationship.
- Work ethic: possesses a strong willingness to work hard and sometimes long hours. Has a track record of working hard.
- Listening skills: lets others speak and seeks to understand their viewpoints.
- Communication: speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative.
- Visionary: looking for ways to establish the Casino’s program as a/the premier program in the country
- Desire to learn: continually learning both learning new approaches and ways to successfully implement them
- Experience with excellent squash program elsewhere
- Wide experience coaching: with juniors, beginners, high-level players o Strong character: able to stand up to pressure from members
- Ambassador for the club: presence at tournaments and events supports and builds club’s reputation
- Organized: excellent time management, ability to maintain details of multiple programs, projects, events, member requests
Job Location, Renumeration & Benefits
The position is based in Brooklyn, NY with essential job function at the two locations – Main Clubhouse and Cadman Annex. A competitive salary will be offered commensurate with the skills and experience of the successful candidate. The Heights Casino offers a performance bonus and benefits package. All employment offers are pending satisfactory results from a background investigation and pre-employment drug testing.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
The Heights Casino is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment where members, employees and guests are valued and respected, whatever their race, color, ancestry, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status. Diversity is a core value of our Club, critical to the vibrancy, culture, and well-being of our community. We embrace diversity as a strength and something to celebrate. The members, employees, and board of governors of The Heights Casino are expected to uphold and advance these fundamental principles in all interactions at the Club. All employees and applicants for employment will be treated equitably and accorded opportunities that are free from unlawful discriminatory or retaliatory treatment.
Name and Contact Information for Resumes and Cover letters:
Cristian Petrina, CCM, General Manager
Please prepare a thoughtful cover letter addressed to The Heights Casino, Mr. Cristian Petrina, General Manager, and clearly articulate your alignment with this role and why you want to be considered for this position at this stage of your career and why The Heights Casino and Brooklyn, NY area will be beneficial to you and your career, and the Club if selected.
The deadline for applications is November 4, 2022.