Title: Associate Head Coach – Men’s and Women’s Squash
Location: Lewiston, ME
Work Type: Staff Full Time – Full Year
Categories: Job Type: Hourly, Athletics: Sports Teams
The Associate Squash Coach is responsible for performing various duties and responsibilities, including, but not limited to, coaching, instructing, recruiting, counseling, monitoring student-athlete academic performance, designing training sessions, collaborating on game plans and strategies, adhering to compliance requirements, and other sport program administrative functions for Bates College’s NCAA Division III intercollegiate Squash program. This is a professional associate coaching position and all of the duties of the position must be conducted in adherence with the policies, rules, and regulations of affiliated national, regional, and state intercollegiate athletic associations, the NESCAC Conference and the College.
- Adheres to and enforces all policies and procedures of the Department of Athletics & Physical Education and the College as well as the rules and regulations of the NESCAC, CSA, the NCAA and other authorities that may legitimately influence the intercollegiate athletics program.
- Completes all required departmental and institutional training and certification programs and participates actively in available professional development opportunities.
- Assists in the recruitment of student-athletes as directed by the head coach. Ensures full compliance with NESCAC, CSA, and NCAA guidelines in all aspects of the recruiting process.
- Provides leadership and instruction in the personal and athletic development of student-athletes, including counseling team members in academic, disciplinary and personal matters.
- Serves as head coach pro tem in absence of the head coach
- Assists the head coach in monitoring the eligibility status and academic progress of student-athletes.
- Provides support in carefully tracking expenditures for all team accounts to ensure fiscal responsibility.
- Works with the head coach and equipment manager to initiate and coordinate the selection, purchase, fitting and maintenance of team equipment; to include uniforms, athletic equipment and supplies.
- Assists the head coach in developing and implementing strategies for motivating student-athletes to perform at maximum levels as both individuals and a team.
- Arranges team travel transportation arrangements through Assistant AD for Student-Athlete Services and Internal Operations and team lodging arrangements through the Business Manager.
- Assists with approved fund-raising activities as requested and coordinates all such efforts through the Director of Athletics and Office of College Advancement
- Compiles data and reports in a timely fashion when requested by the head coach or any senior level administrator.
- Ensures the safety of student-athletes and coaching staff through careful monitoring of the condition of athletic equipment and facilities utilized by the designated sport.
- Confirms that sport camps and clinics related to the sport program adhere to NCAA and institutional rules and regulations.
- Serve as a caring, empathetic, and engaged advisor and mentor to students athletes, having a knowledge of campus resources to refer student athletes when necessary
- Performs all other duties as assigned by the head coach, Director of Athletics or any other senior level administrator.
- Create and implement facility and event policies and procedures.
- Collaborate in the development and implementation of the safety and risk management procedures including CPR training, emergency action plans, and staff training.
- Assist with the management, operations and scheduling of camps, clinics, and rentals; oversee revenue generation and manage billing, contracts, and reports.
- Upkeep of all facility equipment and technology
- Oversee and staff building operations related to facility access for student, staff, and alumni
Computer & Other Qualifications for Position
Comfort with computer programs for managing student information, recruit information, budgets, film editing, social media, etc.
Degree of Independent Action Performed
Incumbent is expected to execute tasks assigned by the Head Coach with a high level of independence and autonomy, and consults with the Head Coach in decisions impacting students, parents and on occasion faculty and staff.
Team Manager and student employees
Internal & External Contacts
Frequent contact with prospective students, current Bates students, parents, admission, faculty, and staff.
External contacts could include federal & state agencies, peer institutions, etc.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required.
- Experience playing or coaching the sport, college level preferred.
- Experience and/or demonstrated success in supervising young adults and managing programs preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to develop and maintain collegial relationships. Must be flexible, collaborative and have a positive attitude.
- Ability to establish rapport quickly with students and their families, while maintaining appropriate boundaries.
- Knowledgeable about the skills and tactics of the sport.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) skills.
- Ability to work independently and handle multiple priorities with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency in basic data management systems, Front Rush, game film editing programs and basic computer applications (e.g., Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Willingness and ability to learn additional applications as needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel (by car, air, train or bus) domestically and internationally as needed.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, evenings and other non-traditional schedules.
- Personal commitment to excellence and the mission of a top-tier small liberal arts college.
- Current CPR & First Aid certification
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusivity and to serving the needs of a culturally and educationally diverse and inclusive community.
- Travel will be required for team competitions, recruiting, and other business of the program.
- Machines and equipment used: Computer, photocopier, fax machine, printers, scanner, and telephones, etc.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- The duties require moderate to active physical activity, occasional light lifting or carrying (overhead, waist level, from floor); bending; handling of weights and objects weighing 25 to 50 pounds, and standing or walking more than four hours per day.
- Essential functions may require maintaining physical conditions necessary for sitting for prolonged periods of time.
- Successfully complete a background and driving check.
The above is not intended to list all possible essential functions or requirements as they are subject to change. Bates College reserves the right to revise or change this description. This description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to meet these conditions.
Interested candidates can apply online here.